Monday, July 16, 2012

Shall I zip or not?

One of the little difficulties about writing stories set in a real place is that readers can easily call you on mistakes. My characters are going to do the zip line at the Safari Park near Escondido, California. Do I need to go on the zip line to make it authentic? Please follow my blog and comment with your advice. I have done a zip line in Chile. Muy scary. I have a fear of jumping off things and this particular zip line turned out to have fourteen platforms to jump off. By the twelfth one, the young man helping us looked at me and said, "Are you going to make it?" Just what the alternative would have been if I'd said no, I never figured out. We were up in the trees over a ravine. Climbing down didn't seem much better. When he told me there were only two more to go and then we'd have a delicious lunch, I jumped. No, jumping doesn't bother my stomach. Nothing does, unfortunately. So there you have it. Shall I zip or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment